Free a Girl USA fights the sexual exploitation of children.
We strive for a world free of sexual exploitation of children. Every child has the right to grow up in a safe environment. All children around the world must be protected against every form of exploitation.
- Action-oriented. We take action to prevent and fight the sexual exploitation of minors. If necessary, we shake up established systems.
- Results-oriented. Free a Girl is a professional organization with objectives that we strive to achieve. This is something we also expect from our partners.
- Effective. We’ve proven ourselves since the organization was founded eleven years ago. There are now places where hardly any minor girls are abused any more, more people in local communities are aware of human trafficking practices, and 4,500 girls have been rescued from brothels in Asia. Thousands of girls can now look forward to the future again.
- Transparent. We are open about how we work and our operational management. Figures, facts and activities are recorded each year in the annual report, which is also published on the website.
- Distinctive. Free a Girl is a small organization with global ambitions. We can respond quickly, compared to other organizations, and we are not afraid to speak out.
- Rescues: Free a Girl USA supports activist organizations around the world that work tirelessly to rescue girls from situations of sexual exploitation. Our colleagues gather evidence on a daily basis, sometimes putting their own lives at risk, by going undercover in brothels or doing online research as cyber-security professionals. When enough evidence has been gathered, our rescue teams work with local police to break down the doors of the brothel, karaoke bar or dance club in order to rescue the girls. In the case of online research, the evidence is handed over to the police.
- Tackling impunity: So long as children are being exploited and don’t dare to report the crimes, Free a Girl won’t give up the fight. Nor will we stop until the perpetrators are punished systematically. In order to bring about lasting change, Free a Girl is therefore working with local project partners to tackle impunity. Our activities include providing legal support to victims when reporting crimes and during what are often difficult legal processes, informing survivors and girls in high-risk areas about their rights, and training the police and judiciary to investigate and fight child sexual exploitation.
- Aftercare: Every child who has been sexually exploited is traumatized by the horrors they have experienced. To achieve sustainable rescue results in the long term and tackle impunity, we must ensure that the victims end up in a safe situation. For this reason, they are given acute medical care and psychological assistance to process their traumas, and to prevent them from becoming victims again.
- Our own programs: Free a Girl USA works with local organizations and supports their activities, because we believe in the local expertise and capacity of our partners. We strengthen our local partners by facilitating the exchange of knowledge, and through capacity-building in fundraising, campaigning and financial management. Free a Girl has also established two programs of our own: School for Justice and Smart Rescue.